Wednesday, June 15, 2011

my dress

My dress is exactly what I wanted. It's simple, but not boring. Exciting, but not over the top. And, I wanted something that will look pretty going down the stairs, and it does it.

When i started looking, I wanted something soft, A-line, not a lot of bling, and a sweatheart neck line. First of all, wedding gowns look nothing like what they look like in the magazines. After my first appointment I kind of changed my view of what would look good; I found I liked the fit-and-flare look.

here are a few pictures I took to show what I liked


The day after my last final for the spring semester my mom came over to Iowa City so we could visit a couple bridal salons in the area. The next week we had a jam packed schedule before we went to the Florida Keys. Here was our schedule:

Friday, May 13th: XOXO Bridal, Tiffin 2:30pm
Saturday, May 14th: Heart to Heart, North Liberty 9:00am
Wednesday, May 18th: Christiani's (caterer), Des Moines 11:00am
            Saley's Floral, West Des Moines 1:00pm
            Schaffer's, West Des Moines 2:00pm
Thursday, May 19th: Caleb Jamin (photographer), Ames 1:00pm
            Storybook, Boone 2:00pm
Friday, May 20th: Bridal Connection, Ankeny 11:00am
            Bridal Boutique, Des Moines 1:00pm

We visited 6 bridal salons in a little over a week, and we estimated about 50 gowns. I was very ready to say yes to a dress. I found ok dresses at the first 3 places, but not the one. After we visited with Caleb Jamin (our photographer) it was kind of a spur of the moment idea to head up to Boone for the bridal shop there. Sean's mom, Katie, met us at the salon.

First, we looked on the floor and found a few to try on. Then the lady at the store brought down a gown from the upstairs. She said they didn't have it on the floor because the manufacturer was having difficulty making it. I could tell I reeeally liked it as she was walking down the stairs.

I tried on a couple gowns and they were really nice. But, then I tried on the one...i feel like i should name the dress instead of calling it the one, but I can't think of one. So for now it's the one. They didn't know for sure if they could order another dress in. Luckily, the dress fit me really well and it would only need minor alterations. I really wanted my sister to see the dress before we made any decisions so we left the salon that day empty handed.

The next day, my mom and I visited the Ankeny Bridal Connection and found a gown there that I really liked also. After Ashley got into town, my dad, my mom, Ashley, and Abby went to the Bridal Connection so they could see that dress that I picked out there. Ashley and Abby didn't love it and they had seen pictures online of the gown in Boone. On our way back home, I said yes to my dress (the one in Boone). Right away, my mom called up to Storybook just a few minutes before they closed to purchase it.

We still have to go pick up my dress...hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Thank you mom for taking me and watching me try on numerous dresses :) Also, I'm so happy that Katie was there to share in the enjoyment when I was trying on that dress. Thanks for coming Katie!

Here is a sneak peak of the one

4 comments:

  1. YAY! I HATED dress shopping, and I was so relieved when I had finally found "the one"! One less big stress item to worry about! I can't wait to see it on your big day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the dress you picked is awesome:) you'll look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. heyy, its abby:)your blog is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress!! You are going to be gorgeous!!!! Your blog spot is great!! This is Katie!

    ReplyDelete